In 1871 Moses King immigrated to Pennsylvania, USA. Ultimately settling in
Colchester, Illinois, he purchased land known as Vinegar Knob in March of 1876
and mined coal. In 1881, with two partners, he started the Moses King Brick and Tile Works.
At the urging of Keith King, his friend Dev agreed she would commit to saving The Brickyard. After having purchased the site in October of 1990, in 1991 (one hundred ten years after Moses started his Brick and Tile Works) she began the work of clearing acres of debris, rubble and weeds from the site. It was soon after, partnering with the Washington DC based Earth Center for the Arts, that the focus shifted to include the arts and environmental awareness as well as preservation.
A few years later, the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency contacted The Brickyard requesting information in order to determine if the property would be eligible to be entered into the National Register of Historic Places. The Brickyard complied and IHPA urged The Brickyard to apply for NRHP listing, which we did. The Moses King Brick and Tile Works was entered into the National Register of Historic Places August 8, 2001.
As preservation of this Historic Treasure grew to be increasingly costly, it became apparent; the commitment to saving The Brickyard would require far greater resources than were available. 501(c)(3) not-for-profit status was applied for and was granted on January 25, 2006.
Today as preservation efforts continue, the arts and environmental focus remains, though scaled back.
If you wish to help with this effort, please visit our “How to Help” page.
Moses King Brick and Tile Works National Historic District
734 N. Coal Street
Colchester, Il 62326-1032